Hertfordshire parent/carer support
“We look forward to more training sessions hopefully in the future and being able to tap into your expertise.” Parent
Children and Young People Mental Health – Early Help Parent Support Service
for Parents/Carers in Hertfordshire
What we offer:
- Free online and face-to-face workshops
- Parent Support line: 07932 651319 (open Thursdays 9 am – 12 pm or by appointment)
- Private moderated Facebook support group: Nessie Parent/Carer Support Group
- 1-1 targeted brief support sessions
- Peer support groups
- ‘Drop In and Chat Coffee Mornings’ where you can discuss anything and everything
For more information, please complete THIS FORM
Nessie is funded by Hertfordshire County Council to support parents/carers of children and young people with emotional and mental health issues. The aim of this provision is to help parents/carers in developing a positive and more confident approach to supporting their young person, whilst offering a chance to gain peer support, useful strategies and practical tools.
Topics covered may include, but are not limited to:
- Anxiety and Building Resilience
- Self-harming Behaviours
- School Avoidance
- Bereavement and Loss including Divorce and Separation
- Disordered Eating
- Supporting a Child or Young Person who is Gender Questioning
- Managing Meltdowns
To book one-to-one support please complete this FORM and a member of the team will be in contact to arrange a chat. Please note: there is an expectation that you will have attended relevant workshops before booking a 1-1 support session.
|Supporting Parents/Carers of Children with Anxiety||Monday 24th Apr 2023, 10:00 am to 11:30 am|
|Supporting Parents/Carers with Children with Self-Harming Behaviours||Thursday 4th May 2023, 9:30 am to 11:00 am|
|Supporting Children with Emotionally Based School Avoidance||Wednesday 10th May 2023, 10:00 am to 11:30 am|
|Supporting Parents/Carers with Children Gender Questioning||Tuesday 16th May 2023, 10:00 am to 11:30 am|
|Supporting Children with Bereavement and Loss||Wednesday 24th May 2023, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm|
|Supporting Parents/Carers of Children with Anxiety||Monday 5th Jun 2023, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm|
|Supporting Parents/Carers with Children with Self-Harming Behaviours||Friday 16th Jun 2023, 9:30 am to 11:00 am|
|Supporting Parents/Carers of Children with Emotional Based School Avoidance||Monday 19th Jun 2023, 9:30 am to 11:00 am|
|Supporting Children & Young People who are Gender Questioning for Parents/Carers||Thursday 29th Jun 2023, 9:30am to 11:00am|
Schools and Community Settings In Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire County Council have commissioned Nessie to deliver FREE workshops and support for parents/carers currently supporting young people who are experiencing emotional and mental health issues.
This is a new collaboration between Nessie and Hertfordshire County Council and we are excited to offer guidance to parents who might be struggling to understand mental health needs and offer advice on how to support them at home. Nessie’s staff are all qualified therapists and teachers who have been delivering this support in surrounding counties for a number of years and have extensive experience in supporting parents in this area.
We can offer parent forums face-to-face within the school or community setting or online. These informal workshops usually run for 1.30 hours with time for questions and discussions at the end. There are also additional opportunities for more targeted 1-1 sessions with individual parents/carers, should it be needed.
For more information or to book a workshop, please email:
Hertfordshire support services:
- Childline – if you’re under 19, you can call 0800 1111 to talk to the helpline between 7.30am and 3.30am every day. The number will not appear on your phone bill.
- Sandbox – NHS-funded service to support children and young people in South Staffordshire and Hertfordshire with their mental health and well-being.
- HOPELINEUK (Papyrus) – Tel: 0800 0684141 Text: 0778 6209697 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 10am-10pm weekdays, 2pm-10pm weekends and bank holidays.
- Samaritans – Call 116 123 to talk or email: email@example.com for a reply within 24 hours.
- Just Talk – multi-agency campaign, steered by young people.
- Hertfordshire Local Offer – The Local Offer lets parents and young people know what special educational needs and disabilities services are available in Hertfordshire, and who can access them.
- First Step ED skills – offers free online workshops for Hertfordshire parents, carers & older siblings, who are supporting a young person with their body image, disordered eating and/or eating disorders.
- Healthy Young Minds in Herts – the Hertfordshire website for commissioned services
- With Youth – provides online support to children and young people experiencing mental ill health and/or emotional distress. Available for any Hertfordshire resident aged 5-18, as well as parents, carers and professionals.
- Child Wellbeing Practitioners – Funded for young people with anxiety, anger and low mood.
- Angels Support Group – For Parents/carers with children with ADHD and/or on the Autistic spectrum
- ADD-Vance – A Hertfordshire-based charity that supports families affected by ADHD, Autism or a related condition and the professionals who support them.
- Space – supports families of children and young people who are autistic, or have ADHD or other neurodiverse conditions.
If you need help with a mental health crisis
Diversity & LGBTQ+
Nessie welcomes diversity. We value difference and are proud to support those from a range of social and ethnic backgrounds, of different genders, sexual orientations, ages, religions, ethnicities and people with disabilities.